Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Precious Cargo (Baby Onboard)

Log Item: Today, my daughter, Emilie (23), had no college classes and hit me up to take her to lunch. Which meant a ride on the Diavel/Devil.

The only problem with parking the Diavel wherever we are going to eat is that people like to touch it. More on that later.

We ran down I-15 to Tom's Farms, a farmer's market for locally grown produce. It still is, but it became more over time and there's a restaurant there now.  Emilie ordered shredded beef nachos and I had a shredded beef burrito (no, LSP, it's not as good as Karen's in Itasca, TX, but it has the benefit of being local to where I am.

While we're eating, every time Emilie gets up, some pimple-faced 20 year old boys checked her out. When we left the restaurant after eating one of the boys was touching the instrument panel and I cautioned, "look but don't touch". He behaved respectfully, but that's the way it is when I park the Devil. 

They had a lot of questions about the Devil, top speed, etc. I told them that I had no idea what the top speed was, but it would turn 130 mph in a quarter mile. They asked if I had it that fast and I said that I didn't, but I haven't had a chance to take it to a track and see what it will do there. There are a bunch of track videos on the internet that show that speed. The ride will do it, whether I can clutch it perfectly is another thing. Suffice to say that at 120 mph/193 kph (as fast as I've had it), if you pop the throttle, it almost accelerates out from under you.

The precious cargo and I then ran East past Lake Matthews, then north to State Route 91 and back west again. Lunch was fun, the ride was fun. The company was outstanding. The bike ran like a bat out of hell...which is what the Devil is supposed to do.

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice run and I'll warrant the burrito may have been a bit healthier than the Karen's staple...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the tornadoes FEAR Karen's. Those burritos can fuel a space ship.

      Delete
    2. It seems I must hunt down Karen's on my next trip up I-35! These things are reaching legendary status.

      Delete
    3. If you blink, you'll miss it, but the food is good - it's Blue Epicure approved...

      Delete
    4. It definitely is. Itasca may not have much to boast about, apart from a war memorial, and Karen's...

      Delete
    5. The number of honored dead from Itasca is SHOCKING.

      Delete
  2. What a pretty girl. Watch out for those pimpled, walking hormones.

    I love food in America - you get shed loads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the USA, they feel that you should get enough food on the plate that not only will you leave full and satisfied but some needs to be tossed away. Not so much in the UK. I've had friends who come and visit and they ask me to order for them. I've ordered a rack of ribs and the comment when the food comes out is, "That's half a pig!!" Right, I comment. You eat that, and I'll buy you the other half if you're still hungry.

      Delete
  3. And she's grinning ear to ear! I'd call that a win on ALL counts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She started laughing when we left home (her first ride on the bike) and laughed clear through the trip, having a ball.

      Delete