Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Milestones and an Installation.

Log Item: First scheduled service is scheduled at 600 miles and I'm there. Because of the two-year front to back warranty, I'm going to have the machine professionally maintained at service intervals as suggested by Ducati. It's a self-serving thing for me. Naturally that's not all the service that the machine will get. There are the oil changes (I change motorcycle oil about every thousand miles as a rule of thumb, which is likely more than should be necessary if driven in the heat of summer for any long distance runs) and chain lubes and inspections every 500 miles, which only makes sense.

Log Item: The Diavel front brakes use Brembo Monobloc (triple-acting) calipers on two ventilated disks, which deliver outstanding performance actuated by radial alloy master cylinders that are married to Bosch's 9MP anti-lock breaking system. On the recent ride to Big Bear Lake, I grabbed the front breaks and felt the anti-lock kick in. WOW. Stopped on a dime with NO LOSS OF CONTROL.

Log Item: Rear sear installation. The part came in and I'm now able to install the rear seat assembly back rest and pannier handles/grab handles.






The installation required new rear lights that are nowhere as cool as the stock lights.

Fredd is right, it's a sacrilege to put a seat on the back of a Ducati Diavel and the bike is not as cool with it there, but passengers won't run the risk of being whipped off the back of the machine...and I can always change it back. It's far from permanent.

I don't have to ride with passengers, but it's more fun than just going places by yourself. Since the only passengers are ladies, the benefit to them hanging on without a back rest is lady parts in your back as they desperately cling for life.  But I'm an old softie, and my children's parts -- shouldn't be touching my back.

2 comments:

  1. That rear seat and grab bar actually doesn't look bad. I may have to retract my fatwah on such blasphemies as this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't look as good as the sleek form without one. Naturally the Italians come up with something that is stylish. It's in their natures to do so - witness (if you will) Ferrari and Lamborghini.

      I always like Ducati, but the bikes that they built were never designed around my style of riding until the Diavel came along. This has the svelt lines of Italian sex on a scooter with the power that I crave.

      Delete