Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Old School

Log Item: I just recently read that factory suggested top end speed for carrying a passenger on the back of a Diavel is 180 km/h (112 mp/h). I haven't been that fast with a passenger on, but I wonder why they put that suggested limit on it.  At 95 mp/h, carrying a passenger, the scooter, which just shifted into 6th gear, pulls about 5K RPM and the red line is at 12K...

I don't think that many Diavel drivers ride two-up. But I find the suggested limit just a bit anemic.






Log Item: Insomnia - I went out for a midnight ride because the world looks and smells different at night. There is a lot of night blooming jasmine where I live and it imparts an exotic smell. The same is true for eucalyptus trees and a number of other plants that spread their pheromones after sunset.


When you do that, you need to wear clear glasses and let the lift the helmet  visor all the way up so that you can take in everything. There are the sprinklers renewing lawns, the sweeper vehicles working on strip mall pavement, and the night sky. The wonder of the night sky. The distinctive sound of the engine's purr.

I bought my first motorcycle when I was fifteen years old and there are a number of things that hooked me on bikes. If you've never ridden, you'll never understand. There is a sense of freedom  and a swell of euphoria that accompanies a ride. For me, the intoxication of a night ride is always more profound.

When I came back from the ride and tumbled into bed, I slept like a baby.

7 comments:

  1. WHAT??? Sprinklers watering the lawn in drought stricken Cali? I would expect, at least, several dozen protesters chanting in front of the houses (unless, of course, the chanters actually live there and only protest water waist during the day.) But I used to enjoy a night ride on my bike. It always amazed me how much warmer the air was around a well lit strip mall or other well lit areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have rules on sprinkler run time, but I don't see wardens in front of every home with stopwatches, waiting for the sprinklers to kick on.

      Yes, it's nice at night.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a perfect ride!! I love being out at night. It's a whole different world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I thought that you didn't like motorcycles?

      Delete
    2. I meant perfect for you. As you know, I occasionally embark on my own version, with the pedaled bike. I understand the attraction.

      Delete
    3. Bikes have pedals? How novel...

      Delete
    4. When I was a kid, I used clothesline pegs and playing cards to simulate the sound of a purring engine when I rode my bicycle. Naturally that was a portent of things to come. ;^)

      Delete