Saturday, July 18, 2015

Hail the Diavel

Log Item: So there I was this morning, out for a romp. High humidity today - 92%, which is unusual for SoCal, but moderate temps of 80. 

Tooling along at somewhere around 85, I noticed cars up ahead slowing and a lot of dust on the ground. I couldn't figure it out. Until I hit the hail. It was roughly dime sized but when you're going 85, it's like getting hit with a shotgun blast --- all over your body. It didn't last more than a quarter mile but it definitely got my attention. There was rain intermittently throughout the morning run and, yes it soaked me. That's nothing compared to the hail.

All in all, a nice enough ride, though I cut it short because of rain sheeting down over the highway I planned to transit. I turned around and headed home. I'll wipe down the Diavel later.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I had my face visor down or it would have been worse.

      Delete
  2. Were you wearing the new superman suit that you ordered? Thank goodness ya had your hard hat on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, wearing black BDU shirt and Levis. The super suit was put on hold since I had to replace a $6K air conditioner at the house.

      Delete
  3. Back when I had a bike, I was tooling up I75 at a comfortable 80 mph when a semi passed me and ran through a gavel patch strewn across the expressway by someone who had ran off, then back on the road. It, too, was like a shotgun blast that cut my hands and arms. Thank god for a full face helmet (though I have been told that an open faced one would have helped my looks somewhat. I think the shock of being hit made me freeze enough that I didn't flinch and go down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it when the gravel trucks spill bits of their load out of the open bed. Same sort of experience you had on a much smaller scale.

      Delete
  4. And you think our weather is bonkers?! That is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite surprised. It was 80 degrees (F) out. Not the sort of weather that you associate with hail.

      Delete