Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Not a Diavel


Log Item:  I'm not sitting on a Diavel.

It's a 2015 Harley Davidson Softail Heritage. The location is Oahu, not far from Dillingham Airport on the northwest shore of the island. 

Q Could you have rented a Ducati?

A Yes, but the speed limit on most of the island is 35 mph. Riding a Harley, 35 is normal. Riding a Ducati, I couldn't get out of second gear.

Q Why aren't you wearing a helmet?

A Because (a) helmet laws suck and (b) there is no helmet law in the Hawaiian Islands. However for those of you who are malignant hectors, I did get a wicked sunburn...and had to buy aloe to fix it.

The leward side of the island was beautiful with perfect weather (temp 82-85). The windward side of the island was very wet and I ended up soaked. I stopped at Mike's Chicken (north of Kaneohe on the main highway) for lunch and dried out before driving back over the hills on the H3 and was really pasted by rain. 

I don't know that I'd keep my Ducati if I moved here because there is not any place to really let the devil have her due (of course, the devil is a woman).

Q What is the difference between riding the Diavel and the Softail Heritage?

A The Diavel runs like a Ferrari. Riding the Softail is much like sitting on grandpa's old tractor. It accelerates like a tractor, it's heavy as a tractor, the gears clunk in to place like a tractor when you shift and it just feels like a tractor.



8 comments:

  1. Well look at you, Mr. Swag! Nice pic.

    Well naturally all fine machines are women.

    It might be a slow and clunky piece but a Harley is meant to be a cruiser and...no better place than where you are to be riding it, Mr. Spoilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But will the Diavel hate me for "cheating" with a Harley D?

      Delete
  2. I guess you'll find out when you next take her for a ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's okay. What happens in HI stays in HI. She will never know.

    ReplyDelete