Saturday, January 9, 2016

Weekend Riding


Log Item: I want to take the Ducati out today. What I really want to do is take it out now, but it's 7:00 am and all I would succeed in doing is freezing parts of me. 

Gauntlet gloves keep my hands toasty warm and I have a jacket that deflects the wind nicely, but I don't like feeling all bundled up when I'm riding. It somehow defeats the concept of being "free" when you're on the motorcycle.

There are people who ride motorcycles to get from here to there and back but I'm not one of those riders. It's not simply transportation. It's an act of liberation when the motor roars and you are able to become one with the road (without laying on the road).

I haven't decided where I will ride today, and I may not decide "where" until I'm going "wherever".  That's one nice thing about riding outside of a group of motor heads. 

I've tried the group thing and I may be a bit too much of an individual to ride in a herd. Does that make sense to you, dear readers? It may be that I'm becoming anti-social, but when I am driving on the highway and see a road branching off somewhere that looks interesting, I just take it to see where it goes. That's what I like best about off-road driving in my 4x4.  The same thing translates nicely to my street devil.

8 comments:

  1. Makes a lot of sense to me , dear writer. Ever the adventurer. Go on, wrap up and ride on ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm waiting for noon. It gives me an excuse to ride and get lunch at the same time.

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean. There were a couple of us riders who would take weekend bike trips into the mountains and camp out on the weekends, but I mostly rode alone. And there was no telling where I would end up. Somewhere in state or the next state. And this was way before cell phones and I would come home to either a pissed off wife or the deep freeze. She preferred for me to call her every now and then to let her know I was okay. Who would have thought she cared? Maybe that is why she is my ex. Follow your nose and go the way it points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People (who don't know me all that well) ask why I have a motorcycle. I've almost always had one - but I digress. It's all about freedom and that feeling of the open road and endless possibilities. Naturally, it's an illusion, but a nice one. (the world around you is a reflection of your reaction to the world around you)

      Delete
  3. Free bird, not one of the herd, know that feeling, it's the best. Comfortable with just me, I often take the road less traveled. One thing about having few friends, nobody worries about me taking the long way...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that your dad is too old for a motorcycle. You, on the other hand, are not...

      Delete
  4. My favorite thought when asked "Where you going?" is, "that way, for a while."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love traveling alone for that exact reason.
    So where did you end up going?

    ReplyDelete